May 13, 2022
The Travel Industry Council of Ontario (TICO) is an organization mandated by the Ontario government to administer the Ontario Travel Industry Act, 2002 and Ontario Regulation 26/05, which governs all of the approximately 2,100 travel retailers and travel wholesalers registered in Ontario. In addition, TICO administers an industry-financed Travel Compensation Fund.
The Compliance Analyst position offers a unique opportunity for an individual to join an organization of approximately 30 individuals, where quality work/life values are embraced while, at the same time, enjoying a challenging, satisfying and rewarding professional experience.
As the regulator of a dynamic travel industry, TICO has a committed and enthusiastic workforce who work hard and are passionate about TICO’s consumer protection mandate.
- Provide financial analysis and assess compliance of financial filings; monitor emerging issues and its potential impact on Registrants
- Assist with various projects, with a focus on Registrant risk assessment
- Capable of prioritizing multiple assignments and planning accordingly within established time frames and deliverables
- A team player, creates positive work environment and sets an example for others to follow
- Outstanding communication skills, both orally and in writing, including presentation skills
- Able to confidently and articulately express thoughts, solutions, and recommendations, while ensuring understanding from others
- Follows set procedures associated with the duties and responsibilities in a timely manner
- Takes pride in their work and is detail oriented. Has a strong sense of quality and knows how to achieve it
- Takes proactive approach in own learning in an effort to embrace change and optimize continuous growth
- Follows organizational core values
- Perform accurate review of financial filings to ensure Registrants are in compliance with the Travel Industry Act, 2002 and the Regulation 26/05.
- Identify negative/unusual industry trends and flag for further review by compliance team
- Identify and assess current and emerging risk parameters impacting registrant operations and compliance
- Assist in the modernization of the compliance department including policy, procedures, and key performance measures
- Record results of financial reviews into the company database and report non- compliance
- Prepare timely written reports on findings from reviews/site inspections in a clear and concise format
- Perform follow-up with Registrants on identified non-compliance
- Occasionally perform on-site inspections of Registrants throughout Ontario to ensure compliance with the Travel Industry Act, 2002 and the Ontario Regulation 26/05
- If necessary, attend court and License Appeal Tribunal hearings to provide witness evidence
- Maintain database, including internal follow-up system and resolving outstanding compliance files
- As part of a team, lead and assists on various compliance-related projects
- Prepare and review follow-up documentation and perform follow-up procedures with Registrants to ensure that the requested compliance changes have been implemented.
- Possesses CPA designation, BBA and/or BComm with a major in accounting
- Expert excel skills
- Has strong analytical skills, including ability to identify and analyze emerging issues and trends and develop recommendations and procedures to resolve them
- Ability to review and analyze complex contracts and make recommendations on their risk factors and potential impact on the overall financial position of the Registrant
- Possesses excellent communication skills, both written and verbal
- Excellent organizational and interpersonal skills
- Ability to use initiative and work independently and as part of the team
- Ability to adapt quickly to changes in company processes
- Proficient computer skills including Microsoft office, Word, Outlook applications
- Ability to conduct research and make conclusions on accounting and auditing standards
- Knowledge of the Travel Industry Act, 2002, and the Regulation 26/05, an asset
- Must hold a valid class ‘G’ license in good standing
- Documentation is a key component of the role and a significant amount of time involves data capture on a laptop/desktop
- Use of own vehicle
- Work outside of regular business hours, as required
- Some travel within Ontario
- Reports to Director Financial Compliance No direct reports
- Liaising with departments and teams within the organization
TICO is committed to having a diverse and inclusive workforce that reflects the communities in which we live and work. As an equal opportunity employer, TICO welcomes applications from all candidates as we further broaden our experience, skills and knowledge, while supporting a culture of inclusion. If you require accommodation during the application and hiring process, please contact email@example.com.
TICO offers a hybrid work environment. In this role, you can expect to spend part of your week in the office, part of the week working remotely, and when it’s safe to do so, part of the week performing site visits of TICO registrants.