March 5, 2021
We are the Resource Productivity and Recovery Authority (the Authority) and our vision is a circular economy today for a waste-free tomorrow. Our mission is to support compliance with individual producer responsibility through education and enforcement to foster Ontario’s circular economy, spur innovation, and protect the environment.
Our mandate from the Government of Ontario is to advance a circular economy by enforcing the requirements of the Resource Recovery and Circular Economy Act, 2016 (RRCEA) and the Waste Diversion Transition Act, 2016 (WDTA) and their related regulations.
Are you a compliance professional who’s passionate about protecting the environment? Do you go out of your way to reduce, reuse, and recycle? Do you envision a waste-free future?
If you answered yes to those questions, then we’d like to hear from you.
We are looking for a talented and committed individual to join us as a Compliance Manager, Inspections to support the government’s efforts to protect the environment and accelerate a new economy in which all waste is reused, recycled and reintegrated.
The Compliance Manager, Inspections is a key member of the Compliance and Registry Team and is responsible for the leading the operational day-to-day management of the Authority’s compliance and inspection program using modern regulator principles.
The Manager will lead a team of Compliance and Registry Officers (CROs) that is responsible for enforcing the requirements under the RRCEA and the WDTA and their associated regulations including: the Tires Regulation, the Batteries Regulation, the Electrical and Electronic Equipment Regulation, and anticipated RRCEA regulations for Hazardous or Special Products and Blue Box materials.
Practically speaking, you will:
- Manage the day-to-day compliance functions of the Compliance and Registry team
- Develop compliance plans and processes; audit and verification process and standards as required under the applicable regulations, including all associated internal and external materials, for approval; and monitor CROs to ensure effectiveness and provide advice to the Deputy Registrar on improvements
- Ensure the implementation of audit and verification processes and standards; compliance plans and processes; periodic internal reviews to ensure established plans and processes are followed; and report the results to the Deputy Registrar
- Use graduated compliance tools, including Communicating for Compliance principles and practices, to achieve compliance
- Manage process for escalating cases to the Deputy Registrar and Registrar, including developing appropriate recommendations
- Manage the operationalization of the compliance and enforcement risk management framework
- Adhere to modern regulator principles, including Communicating for Compliance principles and practices
- Provide guidance to the Deputy Registrar on engaging with the regulated community on compliance matters
- Support the Deputy Registrar on issues management and representing the Authority as delegated by the Deputy Registrar
- Liaise with other Authority staff to ensure efficient and effective exchange of information
- Act as a cross-functional lead representing the Compliance and Registry Team across the organization on projects as directed by the Deputy Registrar
- Manage, motivate and support the development of the Compliance and Registry Team through informal and formal methods including daily guidance, mentoring, structured training, and individual performance management
- Provide clear direction to the Compliance and Registry Team; foster a flexible team approach; and establish responsive, effective, and efficient working practices with a proactive approach to issues and challenges
- Ensure the Compliance and Registry Team has been properly trained on the Registry system; the legislative framework; and operational policies and procedures as directed by the Deputy Registrar and Registrar
- Make recommendations on training and professional development requirements for the Compliance and Registry Team
- Champion an organizational culture of collaboration and continuous improvement
- Support the Deputy Registrar in setting team-level performance objectives and conduct performance evaluation of direct report
- Respond to general enquiries and concerns escalated to the Manager
- Assist the Compliance and Registry Team during periods of high demand as required
- Post-secondary education or equivalent experience is required with the following being considered an asset:
- Regulatory compliance
- A minimum of five years experience in a regulatory compliance role and at least three years managing multiple direct reports
Other Knowledge, Skills, Abilities or Certifications
- Experience with administrative law tribunals, quasi-judicial proceedings and case management systems is required
- Background with Salesforce considered an asset
- Background with data management and analysis considered an asset
- Understanding of baseline financial management considered an asset
- Attention to detail and accuracy
- Demonstrated ability to analyze, synthesize information and produce appropriate reports
- Project management skills and outstanding documentation skills
- Results-driven and metrics focused with a passion for continuous improvement
- Demonstrated organizational skills with the ability to prioritize and thrive in a climate of change
- Strong interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to work well in a team and with stakeholders and readiness to collaborate and pitch in where required
- Excellent oral and written communication and problem-solving skills
- Strong customer service orientation
- Discretion and judgment in working with confidential information
- Knowledge and understanding of the circular economy would be an asset
- Advanced knowledge in MSOffice, in particular Excel
- Ability to communicate in French considered an asset
We strive to build a team that reflects the diversity of the community we work in and encourage applications from traditionally underrepresented groups such as women, visible minorities, Indigenous peoples, people identifying as LGBTQ2SI, veterans and people with disabilities.
If you are interested and qualified for this role, please submit your CV and cover letter to:
Donna McGurk at email@example.com