September 14, 2020
The Ontario Motor Vehicle Industry Council (OMVIC) administers and enforces the Motor Vehicle Dealers Act 2002 (MVDA) – a public protection statute – on behalf of the Ministry of Government and Consumer Services. OMVIC’s mandate is to maintain a fair and informed vehicle sales marketplace in Ontario by protecting the rights of consumers, enhancing industry professionalism and ensuring fair, honest and open competition for registered vehicle dealers
We will take pride in the results of our commitment to a fair marketplace, achieved through innovation, enforcement and excellence in service.
OMVIC’s creation on January 7, 1997, marked the first time a regulated business sector had moved to self-management. Previously, Ontario’s motor vehicle dealer industry was regulated by the Ministry of Consumer and Commercial Relations (now the Ministry of Government and Consumer Services). OMVIC is a not-for-profit corporation governed by a 12-member Board of Directors. Registration with OMVIC is mandatory for all Ontario vehicle dealers (new and used) and salespeople.
Consumer protection through pursuit of those who would prey on an unwary public;
- Dissemination of information concerning consumer rights and responsibilities via media relations, educational outreach and public information and awareness programs
- Compliance activities; and complaint conciliation
- Dealer professionalism through certification programs for new dealers and salespeople; ongoing information and education initiatives
- Increased accountability through administration of a Code of Ethics (CoE), Standards of Business Practice and a transparent disciplinary process
- For further information on the organization please visit omvic.on.ca/
Through its efforts OMVIC has significantly improved the Ontario public’s perception of the motor vehicle industry by increasing transparency, improved complaint conciliation and raising awareness of consumer rights. The retirement of the current Director, Communications and Public Affairs has created an opportunity for a capable and experienced communications professional to join the committed OMVIC team.
The Director, Communications & Public Affairs is involved in all aspects of the development and implementation of OMVIC’s external and internal communication strategies, including consumer awareness campaigns, registrant and staff education programs and the handling of media relations. The successful candidate will bring an energetic, positive and proactive approach to the communications and public affairs function, with a demonstrated ability to develop, plan and implement strategies to raise the understanding of the organization and its important mandate.
- Proactively develop and implement OMVIC brand PR programs to support brand building initiatives/innovation/corporate promotions in support of OMVIC’s Corporate Strategic Plan.
- Develop, implement and measure effectiveness of external and internal communication plans.
- Provide guidance and direction to PR agency partners and review all materials to ensure communication is accurate, relevant and consistent with the OMVIC brand and overall corporate messaging and positions.
- Evaluate the effectiveness of PR programs.
- Ensure coordination and communication of messages/news to external audiences.
- Liaise and collaborate with the Director of Human Resources, as needed, to provide creative solutions to internal communication needs
- Develop and implement online communications strategy ensuring alignment with internal communications strategy, includes day-to-day content development strategy, and functional enhancements.
- Serve as senior editor and provide communications content for websites and ensure all web content is current and in keeping with OMVIC approved messaging.
- Oversee the functionality of OMVIC’s website(s) and support continuous improvement in consultation with the IT team
- Oversee day-to-day media relations/media requests regarding OMVIC, the MVDA and related statutes, consumer protection, dealer professionalism and the sector generally; and do so in a way that supports OMVIC’s mandate and priorities.
- Responsible for overseeing the development of written materials including press releases, Q&A, media standby statements on all OMVIC issues as required.
- Build relationships with key media contacts and identify opportunities to proactively pitch OMVIC and corporate stories to media as appropriate.
- Act as media contact for all inquiries and interview requests
Education (Consumers & Registrants)
- Review and liaise with Georgian College, Canadian Automotive Business School regarding course materials, initiatives and program delivery methods to ensure they are supportive of OMVIC’s strategic goals.
- Recommend other methods of providing educational materials and programs to registrants and consumers
- Develop, maintain and implement effective training program internally and externally including overseeing the delivery of training sessions to registrants as required.
- Ensure that regular educational opportunities are offered throughout Ontario
- Assess demand through understanding of the audience being trained to ensure any current topics are covered in-depth
- Maintain statistical data for all education-related activities
- Create a method to assess training needs and measure the success of the training
Relationships with Partners and Stakeholders
- Implement and monitor a strategy for effective management of external relationships related to registrant communications and education matters
- Oversee engagement initiatives with key stakeholders related to registrant communications and education matters
- Build and maintain strategic alliances and partnership between OMVIC and its affiliates
- Effectively respond to and resolve issues and/or risks to stakeholder relationships as soon as they arise
- Provide advice and information to the communications committee of the Board of Directors as required
- Support and coordinate the continued development of relationships with external partners including TADA/UCDA/APA/CHC as it relates to registrant communications and education matters
- Work collaboratively with the senior management team and lead and energize a small internal team of reports.
- Ensure OMVIC’s obligations under the administrative agreement regarding communications and media relations are met or exceeded.
- Work collaboratively with OMVIC’s stakeholder groups on matters related to communications & education
- Provide leadership in the development of the Annual Report, Business Plan and Strategic Plan
- Bachelor’s degree in Communications, Public Relations, Journalism, English or related discipline.
- Strong working knowledge of communication principles and practices.
- Minimum of 10 years’ experience in Communications and/or Public Affairs experience required.
- Management experience required.
- Must possess excellent oral, written and interpersonal communication with strong writing and editorial abilities.
- Demonstrated capability in media relations situations including on camera interviews, and live broadcasts with ability to stay on message even in adversarial circumstances
- Working knowledge of social media, appropriate technology (including digital), media monitoring software, and other public affair tools.
- Must possess strong project management skills.
- Must be able to meet tight deadlines and execute flawlessly on projects in a fast-paced, often pressured environment and see a project through to completion.
- Must have the demonstrated ability to be an influential communications consultant and to work effectively with colleagues across the organization.
- Must be capable of maintaining confidentiality, with a high level of accuracy regarding information.
- The ability to develop and maintain strong professional relationships with internal and external stakeholders and work effectively with all levels of employees is critical.
- Familiar with dealership environment an asset
- Multilingual a definite asset but not required
A competitive compensation package will be offered to the successful candidate.
Please send your resume in Word or PDF format to: email@example.com. Copy and Paste the following job title and code and place it in the subject line of your email so we can identify the job and confirm receipt of your application:
AHLX-312085 Director Communications and Public Affairs – Ontario Motor Vehicle Industry Council – ON – Toronto and GTA (OTIAPPLY)
Please note that only those candidates meeting the selection criteria, established by our client, will be contacted further. Although we may not contact you directly for this particular role, all applications will be reviewed as we would like to consider you for future opportunities that may be appropriate. We encourage you to continue to visit our website at optimumtalent.com as our opportunities are updated on a regular basis.
- If you require more information on regulatory bodies and consumer protection, visit the Canadian Regulatory Guide