November 2, 2021
The College of Massage Therapists of Ontario (CMTO) regulates Registered Massage Therapists (RMTs) and exists to protect the public interest. By ensuring that RMTs maintain professional Standards of Practice and are held accountable for their conduct, CMTO protects the public’s right to receive high-quality, safe and ethical Massage Therapy treatment.
Please note that this role is temporarily 100% work from home to mitigate the risk of potential community spread of COVID-19 and protect the safety of our team. When it is safe to resume onsite operations, our office is located in midtown Toronto, conveniently located just steps from the Davisville subway station. This is a full-time permanent position that offers a competitive annual salary, a comprehensive benefits package (including a massage therapy fund!), and a professional development fund. Our collaborative team has a growth mindset and a strong dedication to our mission.
If you’re an analytical thinker with strong legal writing skills and a passion for administrative law, then we can’t wait to meet you!
CMTO is seeking a Hearings Officer & Decision Editor to support the Hearings Office by ensuring efficient hearings and timely drafting of decisions. The Hearings Officer will attend and facilitate virtual hearings and provide writing support to discipline panels. This role liaises with hearing parties, members of the Discipline Committee and independent legal counsel.
As Hearings Officer under the direction of the Manager, Hearings, you will:
- Assist in drafting decisions that clearly articulate panels’ reasons by consolidating deliberation materials and summarizing evidence and party submissions.
- Attend hearings and provide direct support, including technical support, to discipline panels, hearing parties, and witnesses, inclusive of arranging Zoom meetings, conducting technical tests and note-taking.
- Proofread and edit decisions and other hearings-related documents for grammar, spelling and factual accuracy. Revise and update hearings-related templates and materials as required.
- Superior legal writing and editing skills and ability to summarize large volumes of information.
- Technical skills to navigate a range of virtual meeting tools and comfortable hosting remote legal proceedings.
- Proven organizational skills to manage high volumes of work and meet case management targets.
- Ability to deal with sensitive and confidential issues using discretion, professionalism and good judgment.
- Self-starter with the ability to work with minimal direction and supervision.
- Post-secondary degree in law and a minimum of 2 years of experience in a regulatory/adjudicative setting.
- Professional knowledge of administrative law and processes in a regulatory or tribunal environment is required, with demonstrable experience supporting the work of adjudicators in a legal writing capacity.
- Knowledge of the Regulated Health Professions Act, 1991, the Massage Therapy Act, 1991, rules of evidence, and case law developments in health professional regulation.
- Previous experience working with councils, boards and/or committees would be considered an asset.
- Knowledge/skills in avoiding potential triggers when interacting with individuals who have experienced sexual abuse.
- Advanced proficiency with Zoom, Microsoft Office suite, legal research databases, and case management tools.
To be considered for this role, please forward your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please state the job posting title and your name in the subject line of the email.
*This posting will remain open until filled.
CMTO is dedicated to championing accessibility, diversity and equal opportunity and welcomes all applicants including but not limited to: all religions and ethnicities, persons with disabilities,
LGBTQ2S+, BIPOC persons, racialized persons / persons of colour, women, Indigenous / Aboriginal People of North America, and others who may contribute to the further diversification of ideas.
We thank all applicants for their interest in CMTO. Please note, only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted. To support physical distancing, all recruitment activities including interviews and onboarding will be conducted virtually. Thank you for your patience and understanding during these challenging times.
CMTO is committed to the principles of the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA). As such, we strive to make our recruitment, assessment, and selection processes as accessible as possible and provide accommodations as required for applicants with disabilities. If you require any accommodations at any point during the application and hiring process, please contact email@example.com.
All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority.