September 12, 2020
At CPA Ontario, we are a regulator, educator, provider, advocate and thought leader. We ensure that our more than 94,000 members and 22,000 students meet the highest standards of integrity and expertise. We provide certifications, continued training and learning for the profession. We serve our members and students with a commitment to quality and efficient delivery. We champion the interests of our profession with the business community. And we develop cutting-edge ideas and thinking that evolve the profession. CPAs represent a globally recognized, premium designation. Our Chartered Professional Accountants are valued by organizations in all industries for their financial expertise, strategic thinking, management skills, global perspectives and leadership.
CPA Ontario’s strategic priorities include attracting a pipeline of new entrants to the profession, building member connectivity, maintaining high standards and creating a strong brand. As an organization, we are guided by a set of core values and behaviors that are reflected in the work we do, how we treat each other, and how we represent ourselves.
We protect the public. We advance our profession. We guide our CPAs. We are CPA Ontario. For more information, visit us at cpaontario.ca
CPA Ontario is currently in search of a Professional Standards Investigations Specialist who can apply their investigative background to provide support to the investigators appointed by the Professional Conduct Committee to look into complaints of professional misconduct made against members, students and firms. The role provides both investigative and administrative assistance to both internal and external investigators in conducting their investigations. This role also provides back up support to Professional Standards Counsel in the facilitation and administration of the investigation and disciplinary process of CPA Ontario.
- Review all investigator appointment letters to gain an understanding of the mandate.
- Prepare initial investigative plan for investigator review; provide suggestions and inquire about different aspects of the mandate upon plan review.
- Produce summaries and demonstrative diagrams for newly appointed files and for report purposes.
- Conduct interviews with CPA Ontario staff (i.e. Registrar’s, Education) to obtain applicable information for investigative purposes, summarizing for investigator use.
- Coordinate and attend interviews of witnesses and members to assist with observations, note taking and compiling undertakings.
- Assist with data collection, research, and financial analysis of investigations, and produce summaries for investigator use based on collected data and analysis.
- Suggest and produce schedules and appendices to accompany investigator reports using MS Visio and other software applications.
- Fact check investigator reports against source documents to ensure accuracy, leading to further research as required.
- Investigate firm registration issues (i.e. POA) and prepare document briefs and report of findings to counsel.
- Organize, maintain, and manage case evidence in both electronic and hard copies (primarily electronic), acting as primary administrator of e-discovery software and document management software, and primary contact person with our software providers.
- Create appointment packages for newly appointed investigations and assist with the coordination of annual Investigator Training sessions.
- Assist with the development and formatting of investigator reports and compilation of accompanying document briefs.
- Proofread and edit all produced correspondence, briefs, reports, schedules, and appendices.
- Update and maintain investigator appointments, case contact details, and investigator professional materials.
- Provide cross-training on all Investigations & Prosecutions Coordinator functions for coverage purposes.
- University degree in business and/or another related discipline preferred.
- Prior experience in investigative and forensic accounting, legal environment, or regulatory body is an asset.
- Demonstrated superior written and verbal communication skills, including the ability to communicate with both external and internal stakeholders, and handle difficult conversations with diplomacy and tact.
- Strong computer skills and thorough working knowledge of MS Office Suite and Office 365 (Word, Outlook, Excel, Teams, PowerPoint, and SharePoint), Visio, Adobe Acrobat, and Salesforce required.
- Prior experience and proficiency with document management software, e-discovery software, and case management software.
- Proven attention to detail and accuracy with an investigative mindset.
- Self-starter with the ability to manage multiple tasks and desire to learn.
- Team player who is willing to collaborate and contribute to the team, where needed.
We thank all candidates for their interest, however, only those being considered will be contacted.
CPA Ontario is an inclusive employer. Accommodation is available under the Ontario Human Rights Code. If you require a disability-related accommodation in order to participate in the recruitment process, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with “Accommodation Required” in the subject line to provide your contact information. Recruitment Services staff will contact you within 48 hours.