August 7, 2020
At CPA Ontario, we are a regulator, educator, provider, advocate and thought leader. We ensure that our more than 94,000 members and 22,000 students meet the highest standards of integrity and expertise. We provide certifications, continued training and learning for the profession. We serve our members and students with a commitment to quality and efficient delivery. We champion the interests of our profession with the business community. And we develop cutting-edge ideas and thinking that evolve the profession. CPAs represent a globally recognized, premium designation. Our Chartered Professional Accountants are valued by organizations in all industries for their financial expertise, strategic thinking, management skills, global perspectives and leadership.
CPA Ontario’s strategic priorities include attracting a pipeline of new entrants to the profession, building member connectivity, maintaining high standards and creating a strong brand. As an organization, we are guided by a set of core values and behaviors that are reflected in the work we do, how we treat each other, and how we represent ourselves.
We protect the public. We advance our profession. We guide our CPAs. We are CPA Ontario. For more information, visit us at cpaontario.ca
CPA Ontario is currently in search of a Director, Regulatory Accounting who will be responsible for developing and maintaining quality control and risk assessment and mitigation processes for the Registrar’s Office. Reporting to the Registrar, the Director, Regulatory Accounting will lead operational reviews to assess Members’ and Firms’ compliance with regulatory obligations and recommend regulatory action when warranted.
- Reviews and makes recommendations to the Registrar and EVP, Regulatory & Standards on complex matters involving the interpretation of Bylaws, Regulations and Rules of Professional Conduct
- Reviews and reports to the Registrar with respect to:
- the Registrar’s compliance with statutory and regulatory responsibilities and obligations
- the establishment, maintenance and effectiveness of systems, processes, policies and procedures for appropriate oversight of members and firms and internal controls over revenue processes
- Provides operational support to and oversight of managers and staff in the Registrar’s Office (RO) on non-routine matters, including ad hoc requests, research and appeals of Registrar decisions
- Provides operations support to the Public Accounting Licensing Board (PALB) on non-routine matters and reviews of PALB decisions
- Develops and implements compliance review and regulatory audit programs to provide appropriate level of regulatory scrutiny to areas of regulatory risk
- Develops guidance for members and firms and outreach strategies to foster compliance with Bylaws, Regulations and Rules of Professional Conduct and liaises with other Business Units to facilitate effective communication to members and firms
- Supports business planning initiatives, identifies regulatory best practices, prepares detailed information and assumptions in support of forecasts and budgets and monthly variance reporting, develops deep understanding of revenue drivers and trends and identifies opportunities for reporting enhancements including use of data analytics tools
- Trains and mentors Registrar’s Office team on compliance topics and issues, to ensure appropriate levels of ongoing knowledge and skill development and implements a quality assurance review program
- Coordinates and oversees the provision of information, reports and assistance to other Business Units to fulfill CPA Ontario’s statutory reporting and compliance requirements related to Registrar functions
- Analyzes data to understand problems and opportunities for improved regulatory oversight
- Supports efforts and identifies opportunities to enhance the delivery of the Member regulatory experience, including liaising with other departments within Regulatory & Standards
- Oversees the CRM system functions in the Registrar’s Office to monitor issues as they arise and work with staff to propose system enhancements to further regulatory and service objectives, maintain data integrity, and facilitate enhanced reporting
- Innovates regulatory processes through the use of technologies, such as RPA and AI, to improve operational efficiencies and member and firm experience
- Participates and provides leadership as a member of the Data Governance committee
- Leads special projects as well as other initiatives assigned
- Provides oversight of the department in the absence of the Registrar
- Successful completion of the CPA designation and a current CPA member in good standing is required
- A minimum of 8-10 years of post-designation experience is required
- Prior experience within a regulatory or compliance environment is required
- Thorough understanding of CPA Ontario’s regulatory regime for members, firms and public accounting is highly preferred
- Skilled and experienced at organizing and reviewing complex regulatory matters and issues is required
- Previous experience with budget and forecasting is an asset
- Advanced experience with Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint, is required; prior experience with Salesforce is an asset
- Strong communication (verbal and written), presentation, customer service, relationship building and interpersonal skills are required, including the ability to communicate effectively and professionally as well as the ability to brief executive management on complex matters
- Previous experience working in a fast-paced, high volume, deadline-oriented environment with multiple conflicting priorities is required
- Excellent analytical, problem-solving, critical thinking and judgement skills required
- Familiarity with Tableau, Power BI or other data analytics tools is highly preferred
- Familiarity or previous experience with AI methodologies and technologies is preferred
- Prior project and people management/leadership and training experience is required
- A proactive, self-starter with positive energy and drive for continuous improvement
We thank all candidates for their interest, however, only those being considered will be contacted.
CPA Ontario is an inclusive employer. Accommodation is available under the Ontario Human Rights Code. If you require a disability-related accommodation in order to participate in the recruitment process, please email email@example.com with “Accommodation Required” in the subject line to provide your contact information. Recruitment Services staff will contact you within 48 hours.