June 16, 2021
The Bereavement Authority of Ontario (BAO) is a government delegated authority administering provisions of the Funeral, Burial and Cremation Services Act, 2002 (FBCSA) on behalf of the Ministry of Government and Consumer Services.
We are looking for a Board and Committee Administrator to provide administrative support to the Director, Corporate Services pertaining to Board and Committee activities including management of meeting and hearing logistics, minute taking, development of Board materials, and claim coordination to the Board, Committees and CEO/Registrar. This role will report directly to the Director, Corporate Services.
If this sounds like a fit, we want to hear from you!
Note: Due to COVID19, all employees are working from home. Interviews for this position will be conducted by Microsoft Teams. The BAO is based in midtown Toronto and post pandemic this position will be based from the office location.
a) Board and Committee Administration
- Liaise with all BAO committee members (Audit and Risk; Cemetery, Crematorium & Municipal Advisory; CEO/Registrar Performance Evaluation; Compensation Fund; Discipline and Appeal; Faith-based Advisory; Funeral & Transfer Services Advisory; Governance and Nominations, Selections) on committee-related matters.
- Be the first point-of-contact on all matters relating to Board and committee policies and procedures.
- Develop good working knowledge of corporate by-laws and committee & administrative policies and procedures.
- Coordinate all BAO committee member attestation to the Code of Confidentiality and Conflict of Interest policy.
- Arrange payment of per-diem allowances and expense claims to Board and committee members.
- Schedule, coordinate, and attend all Board and committee meetings.
- Complete meeting minutes for all committee and Board of Director meetings.
- Create meeting agenda/materials for all committee and Board of Director meetings.
- Coordinate logistics and meeting materials for the annual general meeting.
- Coordinate Board and committee training.
- Coordinate strategic planning session facilitation, event logistics and meeting materials.
- Facilitate communications between internal teams and external stakeholders.
- Develop strong knowledge of Administrative Agreement, By-law and policies and committee terms of reference.
- Maintain up-to-date online library of board-related documentation.
- Maintain up-to-date Board, committee, and policy information on the BAO website.
- Manage the transition to a new Board portal software.
b) Discipline/Appeals Committee Claims and Hearings Coordination
- Work with Selection Committee to present applications received for Discipline/Appeals Committee membership.
- Prepare recommendations regarding appointments to the BAO Board of Directors.
- Work with the Committees Chairs and Director, Corporate Services to develop and maintain effective processes for recruiting and interviewing Disciplinary Committee and Appeals Committee applicants as required including reference and background checks.
- Maintain roster of Discipline/Appeals Committee members.
- Coordinate training for Committee members.
- Maintain Discipline/Appeals Committee Terms of Reference and update as necessary.
- Coordinate Panel members and outside legal representatives to hear cases as required.
- Manage all logistics relating to Panel hearings of the Discipline/Appeals Committee, including timely notifications to all parties, facilities and distribution of appropriate materials.
- To liaise with Panel Chairs and Legal Counsel for timely release of decisions.
- Review draft decisions and bring any concerns to the attention of the Chair and Director, Corporate Services.
- Coordinate procurement documents related to Independent Legal Services.
- Develop and implement policies and procedures and educational/training needs related to Committee members.
- Develop best practices materials, guidelines, practice directions and templates.
- Prepare statistical reports as required from time to time regarding activities of the Discipline and Appeals Committee.
c) Compensation Fund Committee Claims Coordination
- Work with consumers to ensure proper completion of compensation fund claim forms.
- Maintain summary reports outlining claim details.
- Assist with preparation of meeting material for Committee meetings.
- Work with Trustee and CFO to ensure claims are received and forwarded to appropriate parties.
- Post-secondary education in a related discipline required or equivalent experience at an executive level
- Minimum of 5 years of progressive experience as senior administrative roles
- Extensive experience working with a CEO, Board and committee members
- Excellent organizational skills and strong attention to detail
- Flexible and able to multitask; can work within an ambiguous, fast-moving environment
- Ability to represent the Office of the CEO in a professional, customer-focused manner
- Sound judgement, excellent analytical and problem-solving skills
- The ability to work with confidential and sensitive information in a discrete manner
- Excellent written and oral communication skills and interpersonal skills
- Thrives both as an individual contributor but also appreciates teamwork
- Advanced proficiency using MS Office, Teams, WebEx, and other business tools and technologies
- Experience with Delegated Administrative Authorities
- Understanding of the bereavement sector
- Experience working with a Discipline, Appeal or Compensation Fund Committee
- Experience with hearings or legal proceedings
The Bereavement Authority of Ontario (BAO) is a government delegated authority administering provisions of the Funeral, Burial and Cremation Services Act, 2002 (FBCSA) on behalf of the Ministry of Government and Consumer Services. Responsible for protection of the public interest, the BAO regulates and supports licensed: funeral establishment operators, directors and preplanners; cemetery, crematorium and alternative disposition operators; transfer service operators; and bereavement sector sales representatives across Ontario. The BAO is wholly funded by licensee fees (not tax dollars).
The BAO offers a casual work environment, flexible work hours, and a competitive compensation and benefits package. The BAO is an equal opportunity employer and committed to fostering an accessible and inclusive environment for employees and licensees. If you require any accommodation for the recruitment/interview process (including alternate formats of materials, or accessible meeting rooms or other accommodation), please let our HR department know and we will work with you to meet your needs.