August 23, 2021
Cosgrove & Co. is a small consulting firm based in Halifax. We are growing and need to hire dynamic and well-rounded professionals interested in a consulting career. Read on!
A small firm with a big ambition, we are trying to change the way that professional advisors provide consulting services, and trying to create better experiences for our clients.
Board HealthScore is one of the first technology applications developed to improve how consulting services are delivered by management consultants. We are obsessed with generating a better client experience, richer insights, and better quality consulting deliverables.
While we continue to serve clients in a high-quality, professional consulting environment, we also want to maintain a fun and exciting environment that comes along with being a start-up.
We are looking for 1 or maybe 2 special people to join our team, and help us with a range of consulting projects.
Right now, we have a need in governance / public sector consulting, however you will also have exposure to other areas. You can also get involved as we develop other awesome products for the consulting industry. Pretty exciting, eh?
This is a great opportunity for someone with about 5 years of relevant experience under their belt, and who are enthused about helping clients solve real problems. It’s also a great opportunity to work with a company that is growing and developing our profession.
Our consulting practice advises:
- Federal / Provincial / Municipal Governments
- Non-profit organizations
- Hospitals and health-related organizations
- Universities and colleges
- Regulatory bodies
- Other organizations that are not private companies
The nature of our advice varies tremendously by the needs of the client and circumstances, but we often consult on topics related to:
- Governance strategy and models
- Board of Directors Onboarding / Education
- Board Effectiveness Evaluation
- CEO Performance
- Board policy reform / renewal / development
- Director Recruitment
- Board composition, diversity and inclusion
We also support public sector clients in the following areas:
- Program or Service Review
- Policy Renewal
- Risk matters
- Business Case Development
- Funding Allocations
- Strategic Planning
- Sensitive or confidential matters including investigations
- Much more!
As Governance Consultant, you will be responsible for working directly with clients as part of a team. You will provide assistance on projects that involve strategic discussions about the role of the Board in overseeing strategy and performance, sensitive discussions about CEO performance and compensation, and will help our clients clarify and better manage complicated or confusing situations. Ultimately, we shed light on problems and help our clients come to better decisions.
Ideally, you will already have a background in government programs and service delivery, and have a good understanding of public versus private organizations. You may also have specialized expertise in one or more areas that might be relevant to our work, however we are equally interested in folks that bring the right balance of the following skills:
- Master of Public Administration preferred
- At least 5 years of relevant experience
- Ability to communicate complex thoughts in writing
- Excellent secondary research skills (e.g. quality sources in the public domain, academic works, industry publications)
- Familiarity with MS PowerPoint, Excel, Word and other office products
- Excellent business writing skills and near-perfect spelling / grammar
- Experience with qualitative and quantitative analysis (e.g. survey results)
- Good understanding of risk, governance, and accountability
- VERY good attention to detail and great spelling and grammar
- Ability to set goals, meet deadlines and work almost independently to completion
- High level of energy and interest in disruptive change
- And more! Show us what else you can do
Agricola Street in Halifax is a fun, up and coming area. Our offices are above two cafe/restaurants, above a pub, and have large windows that overlook a common rooftop patio. We also have an office dog!
Our small team works in our dedicated office space with appropriate social distancing. In common areas of the building (eg. washrooms, lobby area), it is a fully masked environment.
NOTE: We require 3 writing samples to support your application. Applications without writing samples will be rejected. Please send writing samples to jobs AT boardhealthscore.ca after submitting your resume. These can be blog posts, an old university paper, or anything else that articulates a point of view. We don’t care about the topic — we are looking to see how clearly and effectively you communicate in writing.
We are excited to meet you! We love interesting and creative people, and encourage all walks of life. If you have great ideas about transformative change in government or non-profit organizations, and are interested in growing with a company, let’s grab coffee.