September 26, 2020
Technical Safety BC (formerly BC Safety Authority) is an independent, self-funded organization that oversees the safe installation and operation of technical systems and equipment across the province. In addition to issuing permits, licenses and certificates, we work with industry to reduce safety risks through assessment, education and outreach, enforcement, and research.
We promote understanding and engagement, making safety accessible to everyone. We create and adopt new ideas, skills, and tools that will enable us to meet the safety challenges of a highly-connected world. Technical Safety BC is strongly committed to fostering diversity within our community and welcomes those who would contribute to further diversifying our organization, as we are an equal opportunity employer.
Our values guide our work.
We See Genius in Diversity
We Foster Confidence
We Make the Complex Simple
We have an exciting opportunity for a Human Resources, Business Partner position! This position will work with leaders in client groups to provide coaching and guidance in the areas of recruitment, talent management, performance, labour and employee relations, collective agreement and policy interpretation. They will advise and make recommendations to Leaders and employees on the best course of action. The successful candidate will work closely with a variety of client groups and have the chance to collaborate with incredible colleagues on professional development opportunities as well as corporate projects and initiatives.
We are looking for an experienced communicator with advanced relationship management skills and the ability to build productive partnerships with leadership, employees, and union representatives. We also look for candidates who have the ability to exercise a high level of confidentiality, discretion and judgment. We value diversity and seek candidates who bring innovative solutions to support employees and organizational objectives.
If you have a positive attitude, a willingness to learn, and a drive to be part of a dynamic organization with an amazing culture that places public safety at the forefront, please apply on our website and submit an application today! https://www.technicalsafetybc.ca/careers
Status: Regular, Full-Time, Excluded
Reports to: Leader, People Partnerships
- Labour Relations: Provide advice and interpretation relating to the collective agreement, Employment Standards Act, Labour Relations Code, Human Rights Code, and company policies to ensure alignment with the business culture of the organization and legal requirements are adhered to.
- Performance Management: Provide advice and guidance to leaders on employee performance to ensure effective performance plans are in place. Liaise with employees and leaders to effectively manage cases related to employee performance and disciplinary issues, investigations, case preparation, discipline, termination, grievances, arbitrations and hearings, ensuring that legal requirements are met and the organization is well represented. Obtain, prepare and maintain relevant documentation.
- Recruitment and Selection: Lead full cycle recruitment and selection processes and provide guidance and coaching to hiring leaders. Ensure efficiency of process and effective representation of Technical Safety BC to potential candidates. Responsibilities include role development, recruitment planning, pre-screening resumes, coordinating interview materials, acting as chair person on the interview panel, conducting reference checks, preparing offer letters, providing feedback to both internal and external applicants.
- Talent Management: Provide coaching to and advice to Leaders in all aspects of effective people management practices and strategies. Participate in career development strategies, discussing career paths with leaders and recommending suitable candidates for promotion. Ensure that leaders have the tools to motivate, maintain, and recognize high performance in order to contribute to a performance oriented culture and achieve business goals. Provide support to leaders and employees in establishing and meeting their professional and personal development objectives.
- Leave Management: Advise on and coordinate all leaves of absence (STD, LTD, maternity, parental, personal, compassionate care, bereavement, etc.) according to the appropriate legislation, policies and/or collective agreement. Provide advice to leaders and manage sick leave cases, which may require developing return to work plans and/or workplace accommodation.
- Special Projects and Initiatives: Participate in other HR projects and initiatives as required, such as succession planning, research wise practices, trends and supports the Leader, People Partnerships in continuous optimization of programs and initiatives. Participate as a member of various committees and initiatives and contribute expertise in people practices.
- 4-6 years’ experience as an HR generalist, Business Partner or equivalent. Experience in a unionized environment is considered an asset.
- Diploma or degree in human resources or related discipline; CHRP designation preferred or an equivalent combination of education and experience.High volume full cycle recruitment experience is considered an asset.
- Comprehensive knowledge of current human resource management principles and provincial legislation (Employment Standards Act, Labour Relations Code, Human Rights Code)
- Strong consulting and coaching skills and ability to establish trusting partnerships with clients
- Advanced relationship management skills with the ability to build productive, collaborative partnerships between leadership, employees, union and other internal and external stakeholders.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, including incident documentation
- Ability to manage multiple priorities in an environment with multiple stakeholders
- Strong time management and organizational skills
- Ability to manage ambiguity and approach challenges with a high level of enthusiasm and initiative
- Experience creating, developing and recommending appropriate systematic processes, tools and templates
- Ability to recommend process improvements based on industry best practices that best support the HR objectives and streamline/simplify HR operations
- Advanced skills in MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, with strong ability to quickly learn new computer programs
- High attention to detail
- Ability to exercise a high level of confidentiality, discretion and judgment
- Able to travel overnight throughout BC approximately 10% of the time