December 12, 2020
Please note: On Sept. 1, 2020, the BC College of Nursing Professionals (BCCNP) and the College of Midwives of BC (CMBC) amalgamated to become the BC College of Nurses and Midwives (BCCNM).
BCCNM is the college empowered under the Health Professions Act to regulate the practice of all licensed practical nurses, nurse practitioners, registered midwives, registered nurses, and registered psychiatric nurses in British Columbia. Regulation helps to protect the public by ensuring that professional care or service received by the public is competent, ethical and meets the standards that society views as acceptable.
At BCCNM each of us strives to meet our commitment to the following values to maintain a workplace that is respectful and supports the well-being of every BCCNM employee:
- Trust is essential
- Better together
- Speak the truth
- Protect the public
- Stay curious
As a member of the team, you can expect to be treated in a respectful and professional manner. While your workload will be busy, the College supports staff in achieving a healthy work-life balance.
Are you passionate about using cutting-edge business analysis techniques to completely re-engineer business processes at a strategic level? Are you excited about working in an innovative, fast-paced and collaborative organization committed to learning and dedicated to making a difference in the world of health regulation?
The BC College of Nurses and Midwives (BCCNM) is hiring a Business Analyst (BA II) to contribute to the growth and improvement of the organization by analyzing and managing the business impact of changes, overseeing the requirements lifecycle and leading the solution process for a number of high-stakes projects.
You are an avid process streamliner, and are on top of the latest business analysis tools and best practices currently used today. You have noteworthy analytical skills, communication skills and the proven ability to build meaningful relationships with multiple stakeholders.
Reporting to the Manager Project and Process Supports, and under the guidance of the PM/BA Team Lead, the BA II works with subject matter experts (SMEs) to understand the business context and to evaluate business needs and expected values. In using data and information collected from the elicitation and requirements gathering process, the BA II will oversee the requirements lifecycle management, manage stakeholder collaboration and engagement, facilitate the strategic analysis at division or department level, and lead the business process re-engineering (BPR), business process streamlining (BPS) and business case development for assigned client group(s).
The BA’s focused stakeholder groups may include business process owners and core business SMEs and/or department heads from BCCNM, 3rd party vendors, and potentially other health professional regulatory bodies (RBs) that are using a shared information system (the Consortium or Hub Services).
Internally, in addition to SMEs and IS/IM team members, the BA liaises with staff from other departments, such as Communications & People. Externally, the BA may liaise with consultants, contractors and external stakeholders to assess business requirements.
- Works collaboratively with domain SMEs, conducts strategic analysis by researching and analyzing business drivers and supporting the business to question, detects and documents specific business needs and objectives at division or department level;
- Pre-defines and initiates the appropriate work (elicitation) scope, chooses the right techniques, secures supporting materials, prepares stakeholders and conducts elicitation activities for business analysis information gathering, correctly captures the results obtained and confirms the results accurately reflect stakeholders’ expectations;
- Specifies and models requirements and designs by preparing accurate and detailed business requirements documents (BRDs), wireframes and mock-ups for efficient prototypes, and functional and non-functional specification documents;
- Creates and manages product backlog items, leads backlog item grooming sessions and identifies the backlog priority, breaks down product items into user stories for technology enabled processes;
- Sets up solution acceptance criteria, validates outputs and reviews the impact of implemented resolutions over time by gathering and analyzing user feedback to ensure all requirements and designs align with business requirements and support the delivery of the needed value;
- Oversees the requirement lifecycle management from inception to retirement by managing the requirement’s tractability, maintenance, prioritization, change assessment, approval and retirement;
- Facilitates the ongoing collaboration with the stakeholders throughout the project life cycle, manages regular, frequent and bi-directional communications to ensure all stakeholders are informed of all planned changes;
- Coordinates and facilitates user acceptance testing (UAT) to ensure requested features are successfully deployed without impact to existing functionality, in conjunction with the Project Manager, obtains business sign off on completed UAT;
- Utilizes advanced knowledge of business functions and processes to lead and facilitate environmental scans, creates recommendation reports, conducts impact and cost analysis and business case development, assists in Request for Proposal (RFP) process;
- Identifies opportunities and recommends enhancements to existing business procedures including identifying process deficiencies, user operational inefficiencies and ways of improving business efficiency using BPS concepts and procedures;
- Plans, prepares for and facilitates BPR/BPS sessions and/or negotiation processes as required, and provides completed BPR/BPS reports with finalized recommendations that serve as inputs to the Project Portfolio Management process;
- Proactively maintains effective working relationships and partnerships with all applicable stakeholders across the organization, facilitates the change management process to support the implementation of the designed solutions with PMs and SMEs;
- Develops and maintains a broad understanding of the Consortium members’ services and stakeholders, develops solid working knowledge of core business domain with good understanding of the broad information system platform including Microsoft CRM and SharePoint to ensure requirements are feasible;
- Assists with the development and maintenance of project plans for assigned projects by providing input to planning including timelines, dependencies and priorities, and gives regular status updates, such as highlighting potential risks to the project manager and other stakeholders;
- Liaises with System Analysts to facilitate services support during the maintenance and operation through troubleshooting system problems, facilitates escalations when necessary;
- Advises on and contributes to the development of BA practice policy, business standards and rules improvement, coaches and mentors junior BAs;
- Assists Data Analysts and the Information Management Team with data mapping and report development;
- Fosters and maintains an organizational culture that promotes mutual respect, teamwork, and service excellence.
- Bachelor’s or master’s degree in Information Systems, Computer Science, Business Administration or related discipline, plus a minimum of 5 years (with a master’s degree) or 7 years (with a bachelor’s degree) recent related experience, or the equivalent combination of experience and education;
- CPBA/PMI-PBA certification or candidate for certification (or equivalent training);
- Demonstrated advanced practice of the visual thinking and ability of finding suitable BA modelling and requirements gathering tools to represent complex information in an understandable textual and/or visual model to engage audience and connect them quickly to critical information for further inputs;
- Demonstrated practice of the systems development lifecycle and Agile, Scrum project management methodology;
- Demonstrated ability to build compelling business cases, conduct strategic analysis such as cost/benefit and impact analysis, and manage RFP process and other critical business analysis skills;
- Demonstrated practice of business process streamlining and re-engineering and an ability to analyze system/operational problems and recommend innovative solutions;
- Demonstrated problem solving, analytical and systematic thinking, attention to detail, risk management, planning and prioritization skills;
- Excellent oral, written and interpersonal communication skills, including presenting, public speaking, training and coaching. Ability to communicate complex ideas in simple terminology and convey the intended outcome;
- Outstanding customer service skills, influence and decision-making skills; must have ability to establish and maintain strong relationships with stakeholders with varied business and systems knowledge; ability to understand and manage the customer expectations;
- Demonstrated continuous improvement mindset and comprehensive understanding of change management concepts; ability to recognize potential limitations and opportunities and adaptability to changes;
- Demonstrated proficiency in using MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Visio and intermediate data analysis tools and methodology;
- Ability to work effectively independently and as a collaborative member of a team;
- Demonstrated initiative and self-direction abilities with solid time management skills;
- Knowledge and experience with modern quality assurance concepts and practice is an asset;
- CSM, CSPO, Agile Business Analyst certification is an asset;
- Lean and/or Six Sigma certification is an asset.
As the successful candidate, you will enjoy a generous compensation and benefits package.
Please forward your resume and cover letter, indicating where you learned of this opportunity, to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please reference the title Business Analyst II in your subject heading line. Please tell us in your cover letter what interests you in this role. The closing date for applications is December 24, 2020.
To learn more about our organization, please visit www.bccnm.ca. Thank you for your interest in the BC College of Nurses and Midwives.
Note: References, education and professional credential verifications, and a criminal record check will be required for all final candidates.
While we appreciate all responses, only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.