January 12, 2021
CPA Alberta is the professional regulatory organization representing Alberta’s approximately 30,000 Chartered Professional Accountants (CPAs). Alberta’s CPA’s are among the more than 200,000 Canadian CPAs who provide financial and management expertise across the country and around the world, at every level and in every sector. CPA Alberta’s legislated mandate is to protect the interest of the public, protect the integrity of the profession, promote and increase the competence of Alberta CPAs, and regulate the conduct of Alberta CPAs.
CPA Alberta has offices in Edmonton and Calgary.
Further information can be found at our website: www.cpaalberta.ca.
Are you a self-motivated designated Chartered Professional Accountant with the ability to solve intellectually challenging problems and make methodical and principled decisions in a team environment? Read on as this may be the role for you!
The Associate Registrar shares responsibility for the planning, organizing and overseeing all processes and activities related to the initial and ongoing registration of CPA Alberta’s registrants pursuant to the CPA Act and provides leadership in the overall management of CPA Alberta registration activities.
The Associate Registrar represents CPA Alberta by actively participating and contributing to local, regional or national registration and/or regulatory focused committees/working groups.
The Associate Registrar reports to the Registrar.
To succeed in this position, you will be a leader with a strong ability to identify risks, develop and execute effective strategies to manage and/or resolve those risks, and to work collaboratively with others to ensure CPA Alberta’s regulatory requirements and obligations are met in a proactive fashion.
- Plan, organize and manage activities related to registrations and the Registration Department. Develop recommendations for more effective and efficient operations.
- Lead, mentor and support two (2) team managers; giving regular feedback and recognition and actively participating in the regular performance review process.
- Contribute to the development, management and results of the annual departmental business plan, goals and budget.
- Provide policy advice and support to the Registration Committee, as required.
- Represent CPA Alberta on registration related matters, including national working groups and inter-provincial discussions.
- Collaborate with others, including the Registrar and senior management, to facilitate and improve how CPA Alberta meets or exceeds its regulatory requirements.
- Resolve registrant (sometimes contentious) registration issues.
- Provide appropriate reporting to the Registrar as it relates to relevant risks, trends and issues, and provide policy advice related to regulatory matters when called upon.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business or Accounting; or another related discipline coupled with a professional accounting designation and a minimum of 5 years post qualification experience.
- Seven to ten years of senior level and progressively responsible experience including a high level of business strategy experience and an ability to develop and maintain stakeholder relationships based on trust and integrity.
- A minimum of five years of managerial experience is essential. This experience should include budget management; business-planning; staff hiring, supervision, development and training; and team leadership. Equivalences will be considered.
- Strong organizational, prioritization and time management skills, with the ability to work well under pressure, handle multiple tasks and meet deadlines.
- Exceptional attention to detail in all areas of work.
- Excellent problem solving skills and ability to deal with challenging situations in a professional manner.
- Excellent oral, written and interpersonal communication skills.
- Proven ability to represent an organization in a professional manner with both internal and external stakeholders.
- Recent experience in public practice is beneficial and experience in a regulatory environment is a definite asset.
- Value and Ethics
- Teamwork and Adaptability
- Organizational Awareness
- Results Management
- Risk Management
- Team Leadership
- Strategic Thinking
Fast paced work environment
Some work outside of regular work hours may be required
Some travel is required