June 28, 2020
The Association of Professional Engineers and Geoscientists of Alberta (APEGA) regulates the practices of engineering and geoscience in Alberta on behalf of the Government of Alberta through the Engineering and Geoscience Professions Act.
Want to be part of a team that makes a difference? Come be part of the change.
Since 1920, APEGA has been regulating the practices of engineering and geoscience to serve the public interest in Alberta.
We are looking for energetic individuals who thrive in a dynamic, fast-paced, and challenging environment. You need to be committed to serving the community with integrity, accountability, and innovation, and have a desire to deliver exceptional service. If you reflect these values, have the knowledge, skills, and abilities to make a difference through your work, and are passionate about acting in the best interest of public safety – then come be a part of our diverse team!
Together we can help shape the present and future practices of professional engineers and geoscientists of Alberta.
Reporting to the Chief Membership Services Officer, the Director, Communications is responsible for the development and oversight of strategic communications that align with, support, and clearly deliver on APEGA’s strategic priorities and operational plan.
This position is responsible for leading a team of communications professionals that is focused on effectively communicating relevant and valuable information to members, permit holders, external stakeholders, and staff. The Director, Communications must consistently demonstrate a high standard of excellence for communications, outreach, and stakeholder relations, and ensure that organizational messages are coordinated, strategically positioned, and effectively communicated to advance APEGA’s regulatory and member-focused objectives. This position is responsible for APEGA’s brand and reputation management across all communication channels and building awareness (with members, and internal and external stakeholders) of APEGA, its role as a professional regulatory body, and of the engineering and geoscience professions in Alberta.
The Director, Communications aims to understand key initiatives and communications needs, identify issues and priorities, develop communications strategies, manage and mitigate issues, implement innovative communications solutions, and support APEGA’s overall organizational and strategic objectives. This position also provides direction on social media strategy, media relations, government relations, crisis communications, sponsorship, marketing, advertising, and APEGA publications, including member publications and the annual report.
The functions of this position require regular communication and collaboration with multiple internal and external stakeholders at all levels across APEGA, including but not limited to the executive team, Council, directors and managers, communications staff, other staff, government officials, members, permit holders, and media.
- Develops and oversees the strategic and operational communications planning for the Communications department.
- Oversight of research on best practices, additional service and product offerings, with a view to expanding services and building an even more robust, relevant Communications department. This includes communications policy, process, and standards development.
- Oversee the execution of the communications business plan and provide leadership, development, guidance, and mentorship to the Communications team to ensure effective and efficient systems are in place that meet strategic and operational goals and objectives.
- Develop and monitor budgets and fiscal plans in line with the APEGA’s fiscal framework for the department.
- Ensures that communications approaches, services and products are focused on the continued growth, engagement, and well-being of APEGA and the engineering and geoscience professions today and into the future.
- Acts as media spokesperson and provides advice, guidance, and access to media relations training to other spokespeople who will be speaking to the media and for media events. Provides opportunities and strategies to ensure the media relations activities are carried out effectively. Directs and oversees media monitoring and preparation of briefing and background materials, and issues/inquiry responses for the CEO, executive and management group.
- Oversees the timely and appropriate preparation of print and electronic communications materials such as news releases, speeches, presentations, brochures, newsletters, videos, social media, APEGA websites (including main and microsites), and member-focused content such as The PEG digital magazine and e-PEG newsletters.
- Provides overall direction on materials expectations and the final review of materials for quality, accuracy, timeliness, cost, and adherence to APEGA’s brand, style and visual identity guidelines.
- Develops partnerships and linkages with internal and external stakeholders to maintain their awareness of APEGA and relevant initiatives. Oversees relationship management from a communications perspective with media representatives, government officials, members, permit holders and stakeholders, advertising agencies, etc.
- Oversees corporate internal communications support to all areas of APEGA.
- Positions the Communication department’s business strategies and business plans within the context of APEGA’s organizational strategy and operational plan to further enhance team member understanding and engagement
- Provides input into overall strategic and business planning for the organization.
- Develops, collaborates, coordinates and supports APEGA’s planning activities, including business performance metrics for the Communications department.
- Provides expert-level communications advice directly to the RCEO and executive team and divisions across APEGA on brand and reputation management, social media, media relations, crisis communications, sponsorship management, issues management, communications planning, marketing, advertising and publications, as well as support on matters related to internal or external developments or issues that affect APEGA.
- Foster a positive working environment within the organization and Communications Department that supports communication, collaboration and high performance as well as staff engagement, satisfaction and professional development.
- Participate on and contribute to the development and implementation of cross-department and/or divisional committees, working groups, projects teams, and other initiatives that support the strategic objectives of APEGA from both an executive and communications perspective.
- Key Competencies: Exemplifying Integrity, Fostering Communication, Results Orientation, Service Excellence, Teamwork, Decision Making, Ensuring Accountability, Inspiring Others, Thinking Strategically, Visioning & Alignment
- Exceptional communications planning skills; communications strategy development
- Advanced writing, editing and presenting skills that demonstrate Executive-level style, tone and delivery
- Media relations skills
- Departmental business planning and budgeting skills
- Familiarity with website Content Management Systems and workflows
- Broad understanding of MS Office
- Understanding of digital advertising, Search Engine Optimization, and overall digital communications
- Basic understanding of graphic and visual design concepts
- Post-secondary degree in Communications, Public Relations, Journalism or a related field
- 5-7 years of progressively responsible management roles with demonstrated strength in communication approaches, strategies and planning, and leadership of a high performing communications teams in support of member-based organizations.
- Professional membership and designation with the Canadian Public Relations Society (CPRS) and/or the International Association of Business Communicators (IABC) would be considered an asset.
Open until successful candidate is found
If you are interested in this position, please submit your cover letter and resume, including your salary expectations, as one pdf document (file name: LastName_FirstName.pdf) to Human Resources at HR@apega.ca.
Please note, each submission needs to clearly indicate the competition number of the position you are applying for. If you are submitting a resume for multiple positions, please ensure you send a separate submission for each competition.
Thank you for your interest in APEGA.
Only those candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.