April 25, 2021
Created on April 10, 1920, the Association of Professional Engineers and Geoscientists of Alberta (APEGA) regulates the practices of engineering and geoscience in Alberta on behalf of the Government of Alberta through the Engineering and Geoscience Professions Act.
Want to be part of a team that makes a difference? Come be part of the change.
Since 1920, APEGA has been regulating the practices of engineering and geoscience to serve the public interest in Alberta.
We are looking for energetic individuals who thrive in a dynamic, fast-paced, and challenging environment. You need to be committed to serving the community with integrity, accountability, and innovation, and have a desire to deliver exceptional service. If you reflect these values, have the knowledge, skills, and abilities to make a difference through your work, and are passionate about acting in the best interest of public safety – then come be a part of our diverse and inclusive team!
Together we can help shape the present and future practices of professional engineers and geoscientists of Alberta.
Reporting to the Chief Financial and Corporate Officer (CFCO), the Director, Finance is responsible for the day-to-day management and leadership of the Finance department including planning, organizing, directing, and monitoring the delivery of all financial services to APEGA through the oversight of the financial services team, in accordance with the organization’s strategic, business, and operational plans.
This role will also provide financial leadership and direction across APEGA through developing and maintaining financial policies, procedures, plans, and systems. This includes acting as an expert resource to the management teams across the organization through providing advice, guidance and education on financial processes, best practices and issues management. This role acts as the second most senior financial role within the organization and works closely with the CFCO in providing sound financial advice to the organization and the executive team.
- Providing strategic support to the CFCO on the development and implementation of APEGA’s financial operations to ensure strategic goals and objectives are met in the most financial sustainability, effective and efficient manner possible.
- Providing financial visioning, stewardship and planning for the organization including best practices for financial reporting, legal and taxation compliance, financial internal controls and systems, budgeting and forecasting, and enterprise risk management and utilization and analysis of financial metrics to guide executive decision making.
- Reviewing and providing oversight of all contracts across the organization ensuring a vendor management protocol and strategy is in place and reflects prudent financial and business practices is also a responsibility.
- Providing recommendations or status reports to the CFCO and the Executive Team on internal and external developments that may impact APEGA’s functional areas, operations, and/or direction.
- Managing and maintaining of several key external organizational relationships, such as banking, auditors, and third-party service providers.
- Providing operational leadership and management to the Finance department including recruitment, coaching and mentoring, and performance management.
- Setting key metrics for the finance team and ensuring the effective delivery of required services to the organization.
- Providing direction on issues falling outside of policy or requiring a high level of interpretation in relation to financial management issues.
- Overseeing all financial reporting including monthly, quarterly and year end financials, variance analysis, and annual audit preparation and support for the audit committee.
- Ensuring all financial processes are thorough, efficient, effective and completed in the timelines required.
- Working closely with the CFCO in the audit process to ensure sufficient internal controls and insurance coverage are in place including all relevant compliance attestations requirements.
- Ongoing oversight of APEGA’s annual operational budget plus development and maintenance of a three-year budget/forecast/capital planning cycle.
- Educating and assisting department management staff on budget preparation and critically evaluating submissions made by each department/group for accuracy and feasibility, recommending modifications when necessary.
- Monitoring and reporting on expenditures within the annual budget and forecasts, resolving overruns and/or any other financial outliers or concerns.
- Identifying, recommending and maintaining financial policies, workflow and or systems to ensure efficient and effective delivery of financial services.
- Monitoring and ensuring the organization is compliant with financial accounting standards, statutory legislation, and financial business best practices.
- Participating on various projects internal to the department or across the organization as a financial subject matter expert and oversees APEGA’s financial assets to eliminate and/or mitigate risk and general liability issues.
- Monitoring the performance of APEGA’s investments, cash flow, pension and reserve funds, ensuring compliance with investment policy and required statutory reporting.
- Providing risk management oversight for the organization to ensure all risk are mitigated.
- Core Competencies: Exemplifying Integrity, Fostering Communication, Results Orientation, Service Excellence, and Teamwork.
- Functional Competencies: Decision Making, Ensuring Accountability, Inspiring Others, Corporate Finance and Partnering.
- Knowledge of NPO sector accounting, budgeting and financial reporting practices.
- Strong budgeting and forecasting ability and experience.
- Broad and comprehensive knowledge of accounting and financial management and reporting theories and concepts, including GAAP.
- Applicable APEGA policies, guidelines and directives, financial control mechanisms and best practices associated with financial accountability, continuous improvement and quality assurance.
- System Administration knowledge, IT Infrastructure knowledge and Human Resources systems and processes knowledge, including payroll and HRIS systems.
- Enterprise Risk Management framework knowledge and sound concept experience in risk management principles.
- Strong leadership and interpersonal skills in dealing and communicating with professionals across diverse functional areas including technical specialists, senior and executive management, boards and committees.
- Ability to think strategically and critically combined with the ability to analyze variety of financial inputs and risks, to make sound decisions that are aligned with the organization’s goals and business plans.
- Advanced technical problem solving, decision-making and computer skills.
- Post-secondary degree in Business, Accounting, Finance or a related field.
- CPA designation and 5-7 years of progressively responsible management roles in leading accounting or finance teams in delivering financial services to a professional organization.
- Finance and/or accounting experience must include managing and leading A/R, A/P, payroll, producing financial statements, budget preparation and oversight, and working with financial systems.
- Demonstrated ability in policy and process development, leading, planning, and issues resolution.
- Experience in working with audit committees or administering a mid-size ERP would be considered an asset.
- Prior experience in a not-for-profit organization is an asset.
- This position will work remotely to start and will transition to the APEGA office when appropriate and within government guidelines. Employees are required to have a designated confidential workspace at home with quality internet.
Closing Date: Until successful candidate is found.
If you are interested in this position, please submit your cover letter and resume, including your salary expectations, as one pdf document (file name: LastName_FirstName.pdf) to Human Resources at HR@apega.ca.
Please note, each submission needs to clearly indicate the competition number of the position you are applying for. If you are submitting a resume for multiple positions, please ensure you send a separate submission for each competition.
Thank you for your interest in APEGA.
Only those candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.