June 20, 2021
The Alberta Securities Commission is the industry-funded regulator responsible for administering the province’s securities laws. It is entrusted with fostering a fair and efficient capital market in Alberta and with protecting investors. As a member of the Canadian Securities Administrators (CSA), the ASC works to improve, coordinate and harmonize the regulation of Canada’s capital markets.
The Market Regulation (MR) division oversees the equities and derivatives marketplaces, registrants (dealers, advisers, and investment fund managers), and industry self-regulatory organizations (SROs). With a dynamic team of investment and financial professionals, we are involved in leading-edge projects aimed at balancing effective regulation with our stakeholders’ need for innovation and efficient capital markets.
We are looking to add to our team an industry professional who wants to make a lasting impact on Alberta’s evolving capital market in the financial technology (fintech) space by proactively identifying and analyzing risks, and making recommendations in the development of regulatory solutions to address them. This individual will form part of a team of market oversight professionals who oversee entities subject to regulation in Alberta, facilitate and coordinate the assessment and review of fintech businesses coming to market in conjunction with other divisions within the ASC, and work closely with other regulators across Canada. Working closely with the Manager, Market Oversight, the successful candidate will be focused on the unique regulatory issues that arise in the crypto asset or digital asset industry and the implications of using blockchain or other distributed ledger technology. The candidate will also play a role in developing regulatory approaches that reflect the adoption of other technologies in the capital markets such as those relating to artificial intelligence and machine learning.
- Organizing and coordinating the evaluation of files and applications that require cross-departmental input within MR to evaluate new fintech-based business models. This includes identifying and assessing issues related to registration and providing an intake function for all fintech applications.
- Organizing, coordinating and participating in discussions with market participants in the fintech space and internal subject matter experts.
- Facilitating and coordinating the processing of registration, marketplace and clearing applications by fintech platforms including crypto asset trading platforms, and coordinating with the legal team on related discretionary relief applications.
- Liaising with and engaging subject matter experts across the ASC and the CSA through the CSA
- Regulatory Sandbox and otherwise on the novel issues raised by emerging fintech business models, including crypto asset trading platforms, crypto service providers and crypto market infrastructure entities.
- Researching, analyzing and developing recommendations on current and emerging Canadian and international fintech trends, risks and business models, including crypto asset trading platforms, crypto service providers, crypto market infrastructure entities and the intersection of such entities with decentralized finance applications.
- Participating in and driving the development of an effective oversight and compliance program and executing on such activities for fintech platforms, including blockchain-based trading platforms, subject to regulation in Alberta.
- Coordinating oversight and compliance activities for fintech platforms, including blockchain-based trading platforms, subject to regulation in Alberta.
- Working closely with team members to assist with the development of an appropriate regulatory and oversight framework for emerging fintech markets and business models tailored to the unique risks presented.
- Participating in the execution of oversight reviews of regulated entities, including: conducting risk assessments; planning and executing on-site examinations; reviewing subsequent findings with the entities’ senior management; and preparing reports.
- Assessing the impact of existing and emerging fintech risks in the capital market and participating in the development of oversight programs of regulated entities to mitigate those risks in conjunction with other team members
- Analyzing and making recommendations on proposed amendments to rules and policies respecting regulated entities.
- Representing the ASC on CSA committees, advancing its views and objectives on oversight matters in respect of fintech-related regulated entities.
- Participating in various short- and long-term projects in support of divisional, operational and strategic initiatives.
- A minimum of five years of experience in roles of increasing responsibility such as conducting reviews and examinations of regulated entities with exposure to fintech business models.
- A university degree in business, finance, economics or a related discipline.
- A working knowledge of Alberta’s capital markets with exposure to regulation, compliance and marketplace and exchange operations.
- Exceptional research and analytical skills, incorporating attention to detail and the ability to think critically and creatively.
- Strong written communication skills, with the ability to tailor messages to their audience.
Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to interact with personnel at various levels of an organization.
- The proven ability to play a leading role in coordinating input and analysis from various internal stakeholders, synthesizing inputs and communicating externally on order to advance files.
- The proven ability to meet tight deadlines and manage multiple priorities in a changing environment.
- A working knowledge of current fintech operations, including crypto assets and blockchain-based business models in the crypto asset space in Canada with exposure to operations, compliance and regulation would be preferred.
- Specialized knowledge and experience in the intersection of securities regulation and fintech.
- Blockchain-based or other distributed ledger technology-based business models would be an asset.
- Experience with business process reviews, internal controls testing and IT general controls would be an asset.
Click the Apply For This Job button to submit your resume, cover letter and salary expectations. This position will remain open until a suitable candidate is found. You will be contacted if you are selected for an interview. More information about working at the ASC including our comprehensive Total Rewards package can be found on our website at www.albertasecurities.com.