June 28, 2020
The Electrical Safety Authority (ESA) regulates and promotes safety in Ontario. In fact, we’re working towards an Ontario where people can live, work and play safe from electrical harm. To do so:
- We anticipate, identify and target the leading causes of electrical-related harm.
- We verify compliance with Part VIII of the Electricity Act and its associated regulations. (See below.)
- We promote awareness, education and training. Our aim is to make the public aware of potential electrical harm.
- We work with Licensed Electrical Contractors, utilities, manufacturers, safety partners and other stakeholders to improve electrical safety in Ontario.
ESA is seeking an exceptional IT Professional for the role of Project Analyst, Information Technology (IT). In this key role, the Project Analyst will provide vital project management support to the execution of ESA’s Digital Strategy. As a modern regulator, we continue to implement risk-based approaches as the industry, economy and demographics evolve. We are actively building on our strong Risk-Based Oversight (RBO) foundation to achieve these objectives. The ESA digital strategy is one key enabler of the overall ESA corporate strategy.
The Project Analyst is responsible for supporting the delivery of projects that meet their stated business objectives within agreed timeline and budget and delivering a number of small-scale projects in parallel. Assigned projects will utilize cross-functional teams consisting of both internal ESA staff as well as external service providers/vendors.
- Supports project managers in the successful initiation, planning, design, execution, monitoring, controlling and closure of projects.
- Supports the project manager with project budgets and cost control. Upon Project approval, assists in the preparation of project implementation and close out.
- Assists with the development of project documentation with accurate cost, resource, and time estimates.
- Supports the project manager to plan, acquire and engage external services through the ESA procurement process to resource and support project delivery.
- Supports the development of RFPs, and the establishment of contracts to ensure on-time project delivery.
- Supports the development of the vendors’ statement of work and ensure vendor resources are managed to statement of work and project objectives.
- Supports effective and efficient project handover to responsible areas adhering to the appropriate processes and artefacts.
- Supports monitoring activities and the effective and efficient use of the ESA control mechanisms so that major project decisions, such as solution design and scope changes, are approved by project sponsors and senior management; including stakeholders who are impacted by the outcome from the project.
- For small-scale projects is responsible for the successful initiation, planning, design, execution, monitoring, controlling and closure of assigned projects.
- Tracks project metrics, and creates project dashboards for senior management.
- Supports accurate and timely project level reporting, including scope, benefits, time, budget and risk.
- Promotes a project management best practice culture at all levels, ensuring a communication plan is developed and executed considering all project stakeholders and their needs.
- Supports in the engagement of QA function to ensure that an effective QA (Quality Assurance) plan is in place for all projects.
- Keeps current with latest trends in project management and maintains knowledge of current best practices in project management.
- Financial Management– Assists in managing project budgets and schedules including forecasting, monitoring and adherence to corporate business policies.
- Resource Management –Plans, assigns and monitors project work with appropriate instructions and technical direction while assuming primary responsibility for achieving overall project objectives.
- Stakeholders –Supports the project manager in managing stakeholder understanding, engagement and active participation specific to project scope, risk, delivery and changes
- Knowledge encompassing the technical fields; relevant to the areas of computer science, engineering, technical service delivery, and risk management.
- Knowledge of project management; theory, principles, and practices including the Project Management Institute (PMI) best practices.
- Knowledge of Business and IT business methods, procedures and organization structures in order to be aware of limitations that can be imposed and to recognize factors influencing the effective implementation of methodologies, risk and project management. activities.
- Successful completion of 4 years of university education in an appropriate discipline or by having the equivalent education.
- PMP or CAPM certification is preferred but not required.
- Understanding of projects through the phases of the project Management life cycle.
- Knowledge and understanding of PMI methodology, standards, phases, techniques and tools.
- Providing support in the development and implementation of a set of plans and programs to meet the goals and priorities of the approved ranked/prioritized project.
- Providing support in managing key project deliverables, action log, issue/risk mitigation activities.
- Providing support in identifying and/or facilitating project risks and contingency requirements.
- Proficiency in computer tools application skills in managing projects; such as MS Project, EXCEL, Access, Visio, SharePoint and Word.
- Some understanding required in the areas of:(1) Business case/project charter development,(2) Project Plan and Schedule development,
- (3) RFP/RFQ/RFI preparations, negotiations, SOW, vendor contract management and administration,(4) Project monitoring and control, and (5) Preparation of various reports throughout project management life cycle.
- Proven track record of meeting/exceeding customer expectations.
- Over 4 years up to and including 6 years’ experience, including 0 -2 years of project management experience.
- Strong communication skills/experience including facilitation, presentations and written communications at senior management levels.
- Demonstrates inter-personal skills, conflict resolution and negotiation skills.
- Ability to clearly and concisely articulate project goals and objectives; listens actively and effectively and clarifies information as needed; interprets verbal and non-verbal messages; communicates tactfully and candidly.
- Demonstrates collaboration skills and techniques, which lead to conflict resolution, creating lasting productive partnerships.
- Ability to work effectively and efficiently toward goals in a complex, diverse environment with multiple stakeholders and changing demands with supervision.
We thank you for your interest in ESA. If your application is selected for further processing you will be notified by email.
Please be advised that in relation to all job postings on this webpage, accommodation for persons with disabilities is available throughout the recruitment process upon request in accordance with requirements under the Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act.