June 2, 2020
The role of the Technical Standards and Safety Authority (www.tssa.org) is to enhance safety where Ontarians live, work and play. In that role it carries out a broad spectrum of functions to ensure safety is achieved in the mandated programs to the betterment of the general public in Ontario. From safety inspections to engineering reviews, certification and licensing to public education and outreach, TSSA’s leading-edge risk management and proactive partnership approach helps TSSA improve public safety outcomes. As a self-funded, not-for-profit organization that was created in 1996, TSSA has delegated authority from the Ontario Minister of Government & Consumer Services to administer and enforce the Technical Standards and Safety Act, 2000 (the Act). TSSA employs over 400 staff, approximately 75 percent of whom work in operations.
TSSA is governed by a 13-member Board of Directors responsible for stewardship including oversight of the organization, leadership in the development of the organization’s strategic direction, and governance best practices.
TSSA’s corporate values encompass:
- Safety: Be safety conscious at all times.
- Leadership: Be the best in actions and words.
- Integrity: Be honest and ethical.
- Respect: Build trust and earn respect.
- Accountability: Be responsible for all actions and deliver on all commitments.
- Communication: Be an effective and efficient communicator, and an active listener.
- Collaboration: Work together, respect individuals and celebrate success.
Reporting to the CEO, and as a member of the senior leadership team, the Vice President, Operations supports the organization through the development and execution of a strategy in support of the organizations overall vision and mission. With an overall focus on Safety, this NFP organization is going through a significant transformation, requiring a resilient, collaborative and engaging leader. It will be important for this leader to have direct experience leading an organization through a transformation, appreciating where the distinct challenges lie. The Vice President, Operations leads the largest single team in this organization, so the opportunity to have an impact is substantial.
- Establishes and achieves corporate objectives by developing and executing longer-term strategies in collaboration with the senior management team in support of the corporate strategic plan and corporate mission, vision and values;
- Develops, updates and implements operating practices in a consistent manner, identifies impact of change, and ensures all available resources are utilized at the optimum level and upholding the highest standards;
- Oversees the ongoing development of guidelines, processes, standard operating procedures, methodologies, controls, and overall best practices to enhance core capabilities and to realize operational efficiencies;
- Communicates and acts upon the organization’s vision and strategic priorities;
- Leads by example, providing team leadership and direction that is consistent with the corporate strategy;
- Manages and develops an integrated, strategically aligned business plan across all program areas with corresponding performance measures, using risk assessment decision analysis;
- Analyzes and evaluates operating results and keeps the President and CEO informed about performance, business opportunities and recommended courses of action;
- Provides information and advice to the Board on operational issues, presenting and participating in strategic discussions at Board committees and with the Board;
- Fosters development and implementation of safety strategies for all industries the company works with;
- Leads the operational transformation of the business;
- Drives continuous improvement of the company’s operations;
- Leads a cultural change.
High Performing Team
- Creates a climate in which employees want to do their best, and share in a combined sense of accountability and ownership;
- Engages and motivates employees with a focused approach to performance management, and builds employee commitment through inspiration and motivation;
- Strategically aligns all operational program areas with a unified approach to reduce the silo effect across department areas, increase the level of service and decrease associated costs;
- Fosters open dialogue and empowers team members through promoting knowledge management and sharing;
- Challenges basic assumptions underlying each department’s operations;
- Encourages personal growth opportunities and employee development;
- Promotes a balance of autonomy and accountability through effective internal controls; and
- Performs management reviews, resource management, coaching and development of subordinates, makes recommendations on activities such as performance evaluations and corrective actions in a fair and equitable manner.
- Forecasts revenue and expenditures from existing and new businesses;
- Ensure the balanced fee structure covers the costs of doing business related to services provided;
- Increases cost effectiveness by enhancing the value of service customers receive for their money, and optimizing overall expenditures;
- Leads the development of the operations budget, and business and resource plans, with challenging but achievable objectives;
- Prepares the annual estimates of expenditure and recommends budget allocations to the CFO and CEO, including a 3-year financial forecast;
- Schedules expenditures; analyzes variances; initiates corrective actions; and recommends information and trends for senior leadership/Board decision making; and
- Ensures financial performance is in accordance with budget parameters.
Customer Service Excellence
- Fosters a positive image of the company by creating and maintaining superior relationships both internally and externally, built on integrity and trust;
- Continuously improving service in response to customer needs by establishing and delivering high standards of service levels,
- Increases overall responsiveness and promotes building customer relationships by establishing respect and credibility;
- Provides timely and accurate information to industry, government, and the public, building credibility with internal and external stakeholders;
- Ensures continuity of service from initial point of contact, up to and including the end of customer engagement.;
- Acts as a representative and ambassador to the local community and provincially to promote positive relationships and strong partnerships for the betterment of the organization;
- Communicates the corporate value system; enforcing ethical business practices; and benchmarking leading-edge practices; and
- Works closely with senior leaders of the company’s customer groups to gain understanding of our challenges and achieve consensus on our strategies to address them.
- Envisions, plans and then leads the mobilization of own functional area resources through innovation, smart processes and efficient structures, all resulting in the highest standards of service and value in the achievement of positive outcomes;
- Ensures consistent delivery of the highest standard of service for the functional area in a cost-effective and efficient manner, and that customers are receiving good value for money;
- Constantly seeks and evaluates opportunities for growth and advancement within the company’s industries, nationally and internationally, while striving to be a world leader in public safety;
- Thrives on measuring and improving performance;
- Ideally fluent with Lean process improvement methodologies.
- Ensures and promotes public safety through the development and implementation of safety strategies;
- Ensures effective and efficient application of key safety initiatives;
- Ensures consistent and proper use of data analytics to inform safety decisions, and maintains and improves the effectiveness of existing practices;
- Identifies and informs the CEO of safety gaps, and acts to close identified gaps accordingly;
- Oversees data integrity methods and management;
- Enhances the organization’s leadership role with senior representatives of the company’s industry sectors including direct participation on industry committees including national and international industry forums; and
- Consistently promotes and strives towards the achievement of the company’s vision of being the world leader in public safety services.
Health & Safety
- Ensures a healthy and safe workplace by participating in the development of and contributing to the execution of the corporate OHS strategy, establishing objectives, targets and management programs; overseeing the implementation of risk control plans; reviewing and developing actions to enhance corporate performance results; demonstrating healthy and safe behaviour and promoting others to do the same.
- Members of the public;
- Industry representatives up to and including President and CEO level;
- Government representatives including Deputy Ministers and up the Minister;
- Industry association members;
- Other national and international jurisdiction representatives up to and including Deputy Ministers and Ministers;
- All levels of the organization up to and including the President & CEO;
- Board of Directors.
- Bachelor’s Degree, MBA preferable;
- Minimum of ten years of demonstrated progressive, senior level operational management experience preferably in professional services;
- Proven track record in the management of company operations, including leading significant corporate initiatives; and
- Demonstrated ability to work with management and staff.
If you are intrigued and would like to discuss this exciting opportunity, please reach out to:
Tim Hewat, Partner
Michelle Partipilo, Senior Research Consultant